Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Vegan BBQ

Some unsuspecting customers were joking about where some of the regulars were this week, suggesting that perhaps they were off barbecuing tofu for the Memorial Day holiday. Apparently they hadn't received my email this week offering BBQ tofu skewers, horseradish potato salad and fresh baked corn bread. They were pleasantly surprised.

This was the tofu dish for all the tofu haters out there - marinated, grilled and smothered in BBQ sauce. Unfortunately my photographer is out of town so I can't show you how pretty this plate was, but for those of you who missed it, I'm pretty sure we'll be making some version of it again.

Aaron enlisted the help of his moma on the corn bread and once again taught me a thing or two about baking. When making corn bread, the trick to a crispy golden exterior is to heat up oil in your baking pan before pouring in your batter. This way the batter actually starts to cook immediately giving you a crispy outside edge and a moist most delicious interior.

Aaron also convinced me to try corn bread doctored up the way he likes it - with butter, molasses and apple butter. Oh my god...that's all I have to say on that.

This week we're cooking up grilled vegetable quesadillas with spicy Spanish rice served with fresh salsa and sour cream. Dinner starts at 6pm sharp, see you Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home