Monday, May 14, 2007

A Mother's Day Feast!

First off, if you didn't call your mom yesterday do it now!

This Sunday we made a special meal of grilled tofu with a big mixed green salad with oranges, feta cheese, grilled red onion and roasted rosemary potatoes. I marinaded the tofu in a mixture of soy, lime juice, orange juice, garlic, sugar and water.

Since it was a holiday, Aaron made a delicious dessert. A fresh baked fruit crisp filled with
mangoes, raspberries, strawberries and crystallized ginger. Thanks Mrs. Austin, we're lucky to have him!

A couple of kids
brought their moms to dinner this week, most notably my friend Stuart. His parents, who I'd never met, were in town for the weekend so they stopped in for some home cooked vegetarian! His Dad who admitted to not liking tofu AT ALL was totally in the clean plate club! Another victory for team soy!

Dinner turned out delicious but we
definitely had to put out a few fires this week. Our mangoes weren't all ripe, my first batch of potatoes baked instead of roasted and grilling tofu was not quite as I had imagined it.

Much to Aaron's dismay, I have a tendency of putting things on the menu that I've never tried before...grilled tofu being one of them. After a few mildly disastrous rounds I totally got the hang of it. I learned that tofu like other proteins needs a nice hot fire and a seasoned surface. We ended up coating the planks with a little oil before cooking too which really helped. The learning curve was so worth the ride! I guarantee this will be popping up in other menus!

Speaking of menus, I don't have one for you yet this week. I'm actually taking a much needed day off, but not to worry, I'm leaving you in the hands of none other than your favorite bartenders, Ian and Bryan (or is it Brian?). As soon as they decide what they're making I'll post it here. Who knows, maybe I'll even come in and eat with you this week! Hope to see you there!

2 Comments:

Blogger Loisa said...

nice blog...

8:46 PM  
Blogger Lauren C'an Urbschat said...

Thanks!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home