Monday, April 02, 2007

Coconut Curry with Cashews and Raisins

This Sunday was just gorgeous. I got up about 7:30am and took the dogs (Nona and her best friend Talia) and my coffee to the cemetery to run around for a couple hours in the drizzling rain before heading into the kitchen to cook up some curry.

Admittedly, I was a little nervous this week. I had been putting off dishes that required me cooking mass quantities of rice, as I usually have enough trouble just cooking a single serving. But Aaron my trusty kitchen accomplice told me to stop hyperventilating and just have a little faith in that old 2:1 ratio. To my astonishment, the rice (of the basmati variety) turned out perfect; fluffy, fragrant and golden. The scent came thanks to some lovely cumin seeds and the color a gift of saffron sent from my dear friend Brenna who is far away but not for long!

On this grey and rainy afternoon my curry came to life with garlic, ginger, fresh chilies, lemongrass, and a little carrot and onion. I rounded things out with roasted cauliflower and potatoes, coconut milk and pineapple juice. Aaron had suggested toasting all the ground spices before putting them in the pot and after the rice...well, I don't ask questions.

At 6pm on the dot, the orders started pouring in and we had a steady stream until about 9:30pm when for the first time, we
officially sold out! If you came late I'm sorry, I'll make more next week. Yes that's right, we are open for business on Easter Sunday. In honor of Lent being over and my being allowed to eat eggs and dairy again, I thought we'd really cheese it up this week with one of my favorites, fresh mozzarella. Truthfully I don't know if I want to fall off the vegan wagon so suddenly but I guess we'll just put temptation to the test and see what happens.

This week you're in for a true pasta spectacular.

(VEGAN option available upon request) Pasta with roasted eggplant, homemade marinara and fresh mozzarella served with mixed green salad and pesto garlic bread.

And by the way, I really don't want to hear that you don't like eggplant. You said you didn't like tempeh either.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home